background

Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Million Little Ways.....

.....uncover the art you were made to live.

Live my art? That is an interesting way to look at art. What IS my art?

I started reading a book by Emily P. Freeman with the title, "A Million Little Ways...uncover the art you were made to live".

Part one has this quote by Jon Foreman, Lead Singer and Guitarist from Switchfoot - " You want to know the meaning of life? This is your highest calling: You are called into the dynamic co-creation of the cosmos. This breath is your canvas and your brush. These are the raw materials for your art, for the life you are making. Nothing is off limits. Your backyard, your piano, your paintbrush, your conversation, Rwanda, New Orleans, Iraq, your marriage, your soul. You're making a living with every step you take".

This quote has been rolling around in my mind since I read it. I keep opening the book and re-reading it. I've never thought of my life as art. And that thought takes my breath away. The thought that my life is art scares me.  It makes me think that I've created some pretty ugly things and that makes me sad. But I also know that I've created some amazingly beautiful works of art - like my incredible son, Rick. But we get a new chance every single morning we wake up to make beautiful art with our lives - and slowly, but surely, I've come to realize that art goes way beyond what I create in my art room or behind the camera. I get the chance to do something kind for someone, to leave someone better than I found them. I get the chance to do a good job at work - and my work is nothing artistic - but doing my best and producing a good work product CAN be art. Taking the time to teach someone how to do something, CAN be a form of art.  The time I take to make breakfast for my husband - is an opportunity to show him how much I care for him - that CAN be art. 

I'm going to make a piece of art with this quote on it - I want to be able to look at it...a lot.

I want to remember that my life IS art, and I want more than anything, to create something beautiful.

So my friends, go be artsy today - in whatever you are doing.



No comments: